Richard C. Kraege
One of the first mediators in Indiana (since 1986), Mr. Kraege has served as mediator in over 10,000 mediations, including all types of civil cases, including cases involving complex commercial disputes, products liability, employment law, construction law, real estate issues, and all types of tort litigation and business litigation.
Listed as one of the most active mediators in the state of Indiana in the Indianapolis Business Journal, Mr. Kraege is a frequent lecturer and author on the subject of mediation, negotiation, and alternative dispute resolution, and regularly participates in the training of lawyers, mediators, and law students. He also participated in a PBS television program as well as podcast educating the public about alternative dispute resolution.
A Fellow in the American College of Civil Trial Mediators, Mr. Kraege has been recognized as an Indiana Super Lawyer for the past 15 consecutive years and a Top 50 Super Lawyer for the past several years. He has also regularly been listed in The Best Lawyers in America. Mr. Kraege is the author, amicus curiae brief in the landmark case of State v. Carter, 658 N.E.2d 818 (Ind.App. 1995) one of the first cases in the Indiana appellate courts dealing with the issue of bad faith in mediation.
Mr. Kraege had a private law practice from 1973-2002 as Founding and Senior Partner, Goodin, Kraege, Abernathy & Miller. Prior to becoming a mediator, he practiced in the areas of civil litigation, business, real estate and land use law.
Mr. Kraege graduated from DePauw University, B.A., and Washington University, St. Louis, receiving his J.D.
Mr. Kraege has been involved in the following organizations:
- The Indianapolis Bar Association - Board of Managers; Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Judicial Nominating Committee
- Indiana State Bar Association - Member, House of Delegates
- Indiana Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana - Board of Directors
- Indianapolis Bar Association Foundation, Distinguished Fellow
- Indiana State Bar Foundation, Distinguished Fellow
- American Bar Association, member, ADR Section
His community activities include:
- Big Brothers of Greater Indianapolis Foundation, President
- Big Brothers of Greater Indianapolis, Board of Directors
- Washington Township Schools Foundation, President
- Lawyers Club of Indianapolis
Along with his numerous community and volunteer activities, Mr. Kraege enjoys travel, fly fishing and being forever hopeful for his favorite baseball team, the Chicago Cubs.